francisco - Palm Desert, California
Themes: purpose

I believe children start their lives with dreams and ideas of who they want to be when they get older. Then there are children who are influenced on who they want to be as they get older by family, community, and school. I believe that it doesn’t if you grow knowing who you want to be or if you are influenced. The reason is because in both situations at the end you are still going to become something in life. Since I was a child I believe I have been influenced by my family and my closest friends whom I’ve consider family members.

After I was born in California my family and I moved back to Mexico where I lived for five years and then returned to California. I remembered when I was kid living in Mexico I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up, and then after a couple of years I didn’t what I wanted to be in life. I remember trying to fit in with my cousins and get used the way they lived here. For some odd reason I couldn’t fit in, and then I realized that there was much more to do in California. By now I wasn’t sure of what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Early in my teen years I started a habit; my habit was to listen to the comments in my surroundings, and make those comments into my own thoughts and ideas. First all my friends wanted to be a professional athlete, so I tried to become a great soccer player. Later on I heard from conversations between family and friends of how hard it is to become an athlete. I then took my mind of that and now I was interested in money, just like everyone else around me. It was all about getting a great job, having great things, and a life as a rich man. To be able to accomplish this I decided to work hard at school and kept on dreaming about how nice it would be. Now that I’m seventeen, I have changed my way of thinking. I still pay attention and listen to what happens in my surroundings, but now I do much more thinking of my own and my thoughts have become wiser.

Now I realize that all the influence I had growing up was to make me think in my own ways and see what’s wrong and right from my family members. I believe now that it’s fine to have more than one dream as long as you know that you will work hard and get over any obstacles to achieve it. That’s why now I want to work hard to become a great athlete, and study to have a great job, and great things. I believe that even though I think so much differently now than my family members I thank them for being part of my childhood and creating the person I am now.