Michael - Rancho Mirage, California

An Open Mind

I believe in keeping an open mind. Pride and self concern are traits that I believe are harmful to a peaceful society. It is my goal to rid myself of personal ego in the hope of preventing conflict.

I believe that the absence of ego is the rode to salvation. All my life I have heard from friends and family members preach that they would not do something because it is beneath them. Are we not equal on all levels? How can something be beneath one person and not another? Obviously, I am not talking about doing drugs or killing people which I believe to wrong in all circumstances. I am referring to people like my cousin who absolutely refuse to shop at Target and other similar stores because it is of a low-name to her and she vehemently insists that she shop at Coach. Others flat out refuse to drive a Honda and instead insist on buying SUV’s when they lack the finances to own up to their decision. Lets face it most people buy those kinds of cars to impress.

I believe that absence of pride (ego) is desirable in a solution to combat various conflicts around the world. In my opinion, fights occur because someone has a faltering ego. For example, one day during school I was walking to lunch and I saw two girls fighting because one girl accidentally spilled a can of Coke on the other’s flip flops. The girl was mad that a certain guy saw her in her moment of great tragedy and consequently a fight started. Without her pride, the conflict could have been solved in a peaceful manner without the need for violence.

The road to ridding oneself of pride is tough, but it does have its benefits. They include more available finances as pride often leads to increased spending on anything from car choice to those ridiculous pairs of three hundred dollar jeans. I believe that lack of ego (pride) opens the passage to new ideas. Are we really the best creature on the planet? Are we really descended from apes? Is there really a God? All of the previous should be looked at with an open mind. Personal pride (ego) and country pride (ego) have made us (myself included) to believe we are better than other nations like France, Russia, and the Canadians and people of different race and culture. Although I personally believe that ants are superior creatures to humans, it is my job to listen and keep an open mind to others’ opinions otherwise I wouldn’t be able grow in knowledge or belief.

This is my conviction that may be right or wrong. All I ask is that you keep an open mind. Will you?