Carmen - Palm Desert, California
Themes: courage, setbacks

To Strive For Nothing Short of Excellence

It had never been the divorce of my two parents that had affected me most, but it had been the way my parents had acted after that, that had played a major role in my life. My mother had become a single mother who needed to find a way to support herself and two other children, and our happiness was her goal.

I believe in strength in oneself; the strength my mother carried with herself wherever she went. She never second guessed herself in what she needed to do to make a living for her family. Finding a career is never easy, and I know as her daughter I didn’t make it easier on her either. She found a way to take care of our needs, and start a success in hairstyling.

My father has always found a way to be successful as well. He has the strength to fall off a horse and get back up over and over again. He’s brave enough to try new things, and that has only been beneficial to him. My parents still stay good friends, and know it’s about us two in the end so they need to be strong for us.

I know that being a strong woman doesn’t mean I have to be tough around the edges, and not ask help from anyone. To have strength in yourself is to have a self-confidence. With that strength I know to put it into good use, and to get where I want in life.

I do believe in myself, and I have that strength to strive for nothing short of excellence. My daily life consists of going to school everyday and looking forward to college. I’m going to be independent, and I’m going to graduate and go to college because I live by strength. Hopefully that self esteem will be passed on to others because just imagine what our generation could do with that.