John - Palm Desert, California
Themes: children

I believe that disciplinary juvenile correction centers in the United States are extremely unacceptable. I completely support positive, well planned direction for the large population of children who require it. So many children, teenagers, and young adults experience bad qualities and influences for the main portion of their life growing up.

The simplicity of being a child is in effect the strongest comparison to that of a child in a foster home or correctional facility. The innocence of riding bikes, coloring, and always having that secure and reliable parental system to fall back on in extreme times of need are looked upon as a common trait, a deserved necessity. Allow yourself to choose between the color red and blue, let yourself have the luxury of sleeping with one eye open, one finger always safely resting on a trigger of cold steel, a precautionary method for sleep. If the night grants you the accommodation of sleep and safety, then naturally the battle begins. You step outside and search for possible threats, however you maintain a straight face and continue to wear the fake mask of a gang member full of hatred and guilt because the split second arch of an eyebrow could end your life. In the middle of the night the esteemed authority swarm your room, restraining you and blindly leading you in a fit of fury and confusion far, far away to an unknown place.

Your thrown into the midst of a correctional facility, your given news that your parents no longer want you, they have no need for your type of dangerous behavior and no loner love you. The new environment is completely against you and the tough feared warrior you used to be has quickly diminished into an individual equal to everyone else, and everyone else to your newly acquainted information is equal to dirt. You now find yourself lost with complete strangers dissolved into a mixture of drug addicts, alcoholics, and the silent ones who rock back in forth on their beds, later finding out at your own fault that they have anger problems and that a future of threat provokes you.

Once again you find yourself sleeping with one eye open because a new threat of rejection and criticism surrounds you. Unbearably strict structure, horrid meals, reoccurring thoughts of hunger and thirst linger throughout your mind as the never ending day fades into unwanted counseling groups were your forced to reside on your feelings with complete strangers. In time you work your way up through the different levels however the sensation of self gratitude and fulfillment that is naturally expected with hard work remains astray.

This is a first class seat to view how corrupt the correction facilities are. There is so much room for change and positive alterations. I believe that if the great United States of America would focus more of its attention and time in more important areas, these children could be helped, instead of worsened.