The Falsehood of Relative Truth

Chelsea - Bermuda Dunes, California

I believe in truth. I believe in the absolute. I believe in one right answer. Today’s society seems to be sending the message of “what is true for you is true for you, and what is true for me is true for me.” This relative truth mentality is not only untrue, but it is preposterous.

The very definition of truth, as defined by Webster’s dictionary, is “the actual state of a matter.” This makes it impossible for there to be multiple truths, for how can there be two actual states of a matter? The simple act of believing something to be true does not make it fact, actuality, or truth. No matter how strongly a person believes that they can live without oxygen, they can’t. Oxygen is a necessity for human survival. There is no way around it. It is a truth; it is a fact; it is the actual state of the matter.

This yes or no, right or wrong approach that applies to whether or not people need oxygen to survive also applies to every other aspect of life. Before the sixteenth century, the entire population of the Western world believed with all of their hearts that the earth was flat. Despite their belief, they were incorrect. In truth, the earth is round. Despite whatever people may believe, black is not white, right is not left, big is not small, and falsehood is not truth.

In the same way that I know that the earth is round and that people need to breathe oxygen to live, I believe in Jesus Christ. In fact, I believe in Jesus more than I believe even these basic, widely accepted facts. He is “the way, the truth, and the life” (John 4:16). This is written in the Bible, and the Bible is fact. Although it is interpreted different ways by different people, it has one meaning, and only one interpretation is true.

CS Lewis said “I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” Christianity and Jesus shed light on all of the truths that surround us in this world. He is the truth, and this absolute shows us other, lesser, states of a matter. Anything that contradicts these truths that have been brought into light by Jesus Christ is simply not true, because two contradicting statements can never be simultaneously true.

There are no two correct views of Jesus Christ, as there are no two correct views of anything. There is only the fact that He was crucified and rose from the dead three days later to be the savior of all mankind. And that is the truth.