Lauren - Palm Springs, California

By: Lauren Joy

I believe in learning responsibility by working to pay for your own necessaries in life. At the age of 15 ½, I started working at a pastry shop on the most expensive street in town. While there I served up breakfast to the people who I envied most, the wealthy. I worked at this location for over a year and managed to come up with enough money to buy a car for myself to drive to school or around town. Sure it wasn’t the greatest, but it got me around from place to place.

At the beginning I was so worried about how my car looked and what the people at school would think when I drive up in my, 1998 Mazda Protégé, that has no exterior paint and some dings and cracks. The only reason why I bought this car was so that I would have some money left over to save, maybe for a newer vehicle. I had intended to get a new paint job and repair the dings and cracks, but as time went by and classmates stopped laughing at my Mazda, I realized that it wasn’t about how the car looked, or what is sounded like, but the work and money I put in to get this vehicle and a sense of achievement. Today I am 17 almost 18 and I still drive my Mazda in the same condition that I got it in.

Where I grow up many of the students get a car for their 16th or 17th birthday’s, but I am happy that my parents made me work for mine. I really learned the true meaning to responsibility, commitment, and hard work. As I look back, I remember putting every single paycheck that I got into the bank for savings. My account was called, “Lauren’s Dream Car.” Well dreamy is not the word I would choose, but I love my car and the meaning behind it. Sometimes I believe that is why it keeps on running.

Now that I am on the look-out for a different job, it feels as though I am starting a new journey and have a new lesson to be learned. My goals as to what I am planning to get out of, what will be my new job is perhaps a new car or to be able to move out of my mothers’ house and into an apartment. Where I can learn to pay bills and have the opportunity to make my own decisions. It will truly be a wonderful life lesson.

Looking back onto my first job at the pastry shop and serving the wealthy their coffee and croissants, I believe that I am just as deserving as they are to live a great life and I have achieved that. I love my life and would not change it for the world.