Brian - Palm Desert, California
Themes: humanism

They say that history always moves in a circular pattern. It repeats itself time and time again. Over the years, we can find countless examples of this theory, many of which have directly affected and will soon affect my life. I believe in studying and recognizing this cycle and ultimately learning from it.

The largest example of repeating history is the wars that we continue to fight to this very day. If you take a glance back through a history book you will find that nearly every war is started for the same basic reasons of territory and indifference (religious, political, and racial.) These wars took place no more than 60 years apart from their predecessor. This is simple evidence proving that history does repeat itself.

One example that actually affected my life is the housing market of my home town of Palm Desert, California. In the early 1990’s the housing market and overall realestate of the town was rising greatly. Houses were being built left and right and the more the town grew, the higher the prices rose. However eventually as all things do, it came to an end. Residents were not willing to pay such ridiculous prices for homes and the market fell out. Prices plummeted and many lost thousands upon thousands of dollars. The same problem has arisen this past year. Homes were being built and prices went up way to high and now the market has plunged yet again. I am recognizing this vicious cycle and am choosing to learn from it. I am watching the housing market very closely now and will be aware of it in the future.

One prediction that follows this same pattern of a cyclical history is that our economy is heading for another great depression. There are many similar signs such as the existence of high inflation and the lowering of the United States dollar value. If history really does move in cycles then we are heading for a rough fiscal experience.

In addition to my previous examples of repeating history, another that I have been hearing an awful lot about on every news station in the country is the prediction that the American empire will fall soon, much like those of the Romans and British. People have made the connection that they were the top of the world for a period of time, before being confronted with continuous obstacles that ultimately led to their downfall. This would be the single greatest form of evidence of this theory. I am trying to learn from these predictions and prepare for the possibility of a weaker America so that I can still have an adequate, normal life.

There is an enormous amount of evidence to support the idea that history repeats itself. I, unlike some others, choose to learn from our past experiences so that when the same problems resurface I can face them head on with determination and confidence.