Micaela - Rancho Mirage, California

I believe in the power of a single person and that anyone can accomplish anything that they want to, but only if they really believe that is something they can achieve. The power one-person holds that determines their future is gargantuan and establishes how enormously remarkable one’s life can turn out.

Skipping college after high school wasn’t an option for me. When I was young I knew that I was going no to college matter what and that I wanted to be successful and smart. I wanted to be able to hold conversations with intelligent adults and have a big house in a big city because I wanted to be a businesswoman. As I grew older, that fantasy went away. I still wanted to go to college and have a good job, but it didn’t seem as easy anymore. I wasn’t sure if I could actually get into college, or even like it. It didn’t seem as fun as it did when I was younger.

When senior year rolled around, I wasn’t sure how I was going to handle finishing college applications. They seemed so hard and I was almost ready to give up. I thought it wouldn’t matter because I wouldn’t get accepted anywhere. I had lost myself by being intimidated and unsure. AS the deadline to turn in applications came closer, I wasn’t sure I could finish them at all.

One weekend I decided that I had the power to finish all of my applications. I woke up, sat down at my computer, and finished every single application until they were all completely done. That morning I realized that going to college was my life-long dream and if I went, I could do anything I wanted to. Whatever I became, I would be happy because I would have made the right decision no matter what.

I had applied to University of Hawaii in early October, one of my top three schools that I wanted to attend. I came home from high school and there was the envelope from Hawaii with a large printing of “Congratulations” on the cover. At that moment I knew that I had made the right decision. I had gotten accepted into one of the schools I didn’t think I would get in to. I worked against my ideas of failure and told myself that I will go to college and that I will become successful.

I’m not sure If I will get into any of the other colleges I applied to, but knowing that my power to accomplish what I wanted enlightened me that in college I will be fine. Having the power to know that you will accomplish something is one of the greatest feelings I can imagine. Knowing that you are the only person that can determine you future is the best part of that feeling because that’s when you know that you are the only one who controls you life.