Kelli - Tacoma, Washington
Themes: setbacks

This I Believe: I believe that what happens to you only makes you stronger.

I believe that whatever you do in life can only make you stronger. Whether it is good or bad, eventually you will grow from it.

Every year, even every month, I experience one of those days where it seems as if everything is going wrong and cannot get any worse than it already is — and then it does. Then entire day I am thinking that this is one of the worst days of my life and nothing good can come out of it. Then the next day comes; I realize that some stupid mistake that had happened on “the worst day of my life” has actually turned into something that is helping me right now, and later on as well.

I believe that everyone has one of these days–my sister for example– she thought that everything was going perfect for about two and a half years—and then something awful happened. It all went terribly wrong. Her “perfect man” became one of those people that we all wished we had never met.

When I get as angry as my sister did, I tend to go all out and let the whole world know about it. I also want them to know that even though I spent so much time getting so mad at something, I have flourished into a whole new state of mind. A quote from my sister says: “Thank you for all the bad things you did to me which now let me flourish in strength, confidence, sexiness, and power” and also said “I love who I’ve become”.

This inspired me in a way that nothing else could. My sister was in love, and the guy ended up being just another wasted time in her life. Now, she is still one of the happiest people I know and has moved on from it.

My sister has gotten exactly what she has wanted. I hope to be just as lucky as my sister. I believe that if I never try anything because I am afraid of bad coming from it, I will never get anywhere in life; I will cry at a paper cut on someone else; be sensitive to every small thing around me. I want to get what I want through effort and motivation. I want to get strong and stay strong to live my life to the fullest.

I am a strong girl and will grow up to be a strong woman. I am willing to take my chances and take the hurt. This I believe is the only way to live, nothing is perfect. The good will make you good, and the bad will make you great.