Watch out Hollywood!

Hannah - Seattle, Washington
Themes: purpose

I believe in a lot of things but what I have most passion for is, believing that if you aim high and have faith in yourself you can achieve any goal. Some people don’t believe miracles can happen or that dreams really come true, but I witnessed my Uncle conquer his goal with pride and confidence. From that point on I have believed that nothing is actually impossible. Standing five foot eight inches tall, long blonde shaggy hair and thick black rimmed glasses is my Uncle Matt, or in other words my hero. He has shown me that I can do anything I set my heart to and he doesn’t even know it.

When I was younger he was always my favorite uncle. Whenever we had family gatherings the first thing I’d ask my dad is if my Uncle Matt would be there and I’d either smile with happiness or sigh with disappointment. He was constantly telling jokes and always making everyone laugh. But that’s all I really thought of him. The funny uncle that’s always making me crack up. But he had big dreams to move to L.A. and become an actor. This was fairly recent; he was in his late thirties. I thought to myself, “it’s going to be hard but he will be able to do it.” America will love him just like my family does.

From then on at every family gathering my aunt or grandma would ask me if I saw his commercial or heard the recent news. I’d always shake my head no and they’d tell me immediately. His first commercial was for a gamer’s convention airing on G4 which is on extended cable. It was hilarious. I watched it at least fifty times, thinking each time, “wow, that’s really my uncle.” Then this Thanksgiving my Aunt came to me and asked if I had seen his new commercial for Epison printers. I said no and we ran upstairs and watched it together. The whole time I watched it in my head I was thinking oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. MY UNCLE IS ON TV. Not just some extended cable channel. But local channels that anyone can watch. I couldn’t believe it. I was so proud of him. It wasn’t like he went down to L.A. with a bunch of money and an agent waiting for him. He started from scratch and this is just the start of it. He knew what he wanted and now he’s living the life he’s always wanted. The only downside is I never get to talk to him anymore. He’s taught me that anything is possible if you put your heart into it and dreaming big is the only way to live. Don’t go through life afraid of failure. If you embrace every moment, be confident and have an amazing attitude. I believe you can accomplish anything.