Megan - Oceanside, California

Aliens exist, so do soul mates. This, I believe. Not only do aliens exist, but they are kindred souls who want to be my friend and I theirs. When I was younger, I had a book called Mysteries of the Unexplained. It was a huge hardcover book with an old plastic cover that my grandpa bought me at the swap meet. It was my favorite book. I would read it every day from the moment I got home from school to when I went to sleep. Sometimes my mom would hide it in the hopes that I would play with a doll or at least go outside. But I always managed to find it. My book was full of stories about weird events and random sightings. I loved that book and I always prayed that something out of the ordinary would happen to me so I could be in it. I prayed that the aliens who were involved in it would come pick me up in their silver space ship, and take me home to live happily ever after with them on their space colony. Because, let’s face it, I didn’t quite fit in with the kids in my class. I liked to read and actually enjoyed learning, AKA I was a freak. But I believed that my aliens would accept me and I would share my favorite stories out of the Mysteries of the Unexplained book with them and they would laugh and say, “Oh, I designed that crop circle for my friend’s birthday.” And I would reply with glee, “It’s beautiful!” and we would live happily ever after.

I believe soul mates exist and mine is probably an alien because on Earth, I haven’t found him yet. I’m not sure if he’s playing hard to get or if he’s really not on this planet. But I think he’ll be hard to recognize because we might look completely different. I’m tannish with light brown freckles; he might be green with metallic blue stripes. I have long, curly brown hair and his could be neon pink. I have two arms, while he could have six arms to hug me with. But ultimately, our looks won’t make a difference, because when you look on the inside, our souls will match, and that’s all that will matter. I know he loves me even if we’ve never met. He thinks about me all the time and I about him. But I’m being patient, because I believe suspense makes everything better. I believe God gives everyone a chance to meet the one they love most and I am serenely waiting for my chance.

Speaking of soul mates, I don’t think long-stemmed roses and diamonds should represent the greatest display of affection. I’m not a fan of flowers and my jewelry always seems to lose itself. The great philosopher Demetri Martin once said, “Giving someone flowers is like saying, ‘Here. Now watch these die.’” As for the saying that diamonds are forever, watch about five seconds of Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie Blood Diamond and you won’t want diamonds either. Plus, I’m not sure they have roses and diamonds on whatever planet my soul mate is on. I’d be satisfied with just his unconditional love. I believe the only thing holding me back from meeting my soul mate is my mind. I doubt my kindred-souled alien friends worry about when they’ll meet their soul mates. I think they just wait it out, trusting that it’ll happen eventually.

Overall, I believe my fellow citizens of the universe have it right. They exist to love each other and that’s enough for them. If that’s enough for them, then it’s more than enough for me. Soul mates definitely exist, and mine’s probably an alien. This, I believe.