Leah - Palm Desert, California
Themes: purpose

Leah Schneider

Period 3

Government CP

This I believe.

Everyone in the world has something they know to be right or true. Most would admit that we all believe in something, whatever it may be. I believe in one thing, and that is my aspiring passion for ballet. For as long as I can remember, I have always been in love with ballet. On television I would watch the flawless ballerinas leap effortlessly about the stage. From early on I was captivated by the grace and perfection ballet showed me. Some years went by before I was finally enrolled in ballet classes, I was about 8. To my parents’ surprise I was quite good even at such a young age. Within no time I was switched into more advanced classes with girls much older than me. The classes were much longer and efficient than the ones from before. My instructor had a friend who was a professional ballet dancer in Europe come to her studio to teach classes Saturday mornings for the advanced students. I was among the advanced students as well as one of the youngest. We had a performance coming up called “American In Paris”. I had been given the honor of a short Pas De Deux (male and female partnering). In addition to the scenes where I performed with the students my own age, I was given roles with the older and more advanced students. This opportunity was not to be taken lightly! My enthusiasm over brushed my fear and nervousness of taking on these roles. I quickly embraced this opportunity for it was clearly my time to shine. The show was a wonderful success. My family and friends applauded all my hard work and dedication to my dances which appeared to have paid off well. After the performance my mother showed more care and attention to my ballet dancing. She would often come to the studio at class time and watch me dance. I vividly recall my ballet instructor bragging to my mother about the progress I had been making. In one particular class, I was doing my warm-up at the barre when I turned and looked at my mother only to find that she was teary eyed. She was proud of me. She knew that this was a gift I was born to embrace. While the years progressed and grew, so did my ambitious passion to become a professional ballerina. My hope and is to audition for the American Academy of Ballet in New York and attend there as an aspiring student. My dream would then be to become a member of the American Ballet Company. When you wake up in the morning, you need something to live for, something to always work and take pride in. Without that your life is plain and colorless. With desire, dedication, and discipline these hopes and dreams can become a reality. Ballet is my safe zone, my escape. This is what I believe.