Jonathan - Salt Lake City, Utah

“This I believe…”

I believe in several things, these are: equality and balance, that it is the fault of the person who got angry at the other person, and in the advantages of being a twin. I believe in equality and balance, this is from the yin-yang idea that is in Daoism (Taoism) that was developed by Lao Zi (Lao Tzu) and is the main focus point in his work the “Dao De Jing” (Tao Te Ching). An example is that you can not just be “one-sided”, that you have to have a “light side” and a “dark side”. You can not just be happy, or sad, or angry all the time, instead you have to be a different one at a different (or at the same) time. An example of this belief is that I can be angry and sad at the same time.

A second thing that I believe in is that it is someone’s fault if they get angry at another person, that is for the person who gets angry it is their fault that they are angry (not the other person’s). Sometimes a person’s anger is nothing more than jealousy at the second person. Most people do not want to show that they are jealous so they cover it up with anger. An example of this is that I have noticed when I have been jealous I have gotten angry at the person (just like most people). I was jealous because I was wishing that I could be like that person.

A third thing I believe in are the advantages that are there if you are a twin. If you are a twin then the two of you clearly will have a lot in common. Some examples are myself and my brother. He and I are twins (identical twins at that). We have lots of things in common (not just physical appearance). We like basically the same things (although we do not have the same interests). An example of this is that he does not have as much of an interest in East-Asian cultures and languages as I do. My brother and I always have each other to talk to when we go on family trips. We like the same shows, same movies, basically the same things. Sometimes we even think the same things. Some examples are that if one of us is thinking about one thing and we say out laud what we were thinking about and the other one will sometimes say that they were thinking that exact same thing. A second thing that I believe in is that it is someone’s fault if they get angry at another person, that is for the person who gets angry it is their fault that they are angry (not the other person’s). Sometimes a person’s anger is nothing more than jealousy at the second person. Most people do not want to show that they are jealous so they cover it up with anger. An example of this is that I have noticed when I have been jealous I have gotten angry at the person (just like most people). I was jealous because I was wishing that I could be like that person.