Matthew - Lyman, South Carolina

Everyone believes in something. Maybe you believe in a religion, or in luck. Possibly you believe in your best friend, or you believe that you will learn never learn to clean up your room. What I believe in is family, service, and faith.

Family; they will be the most annoying, embarrassing, wild, and diverse people you will ever know. Sometimes they dance on your last nerve and crawl inside your skin, but they love you. Mom and Dad only want to help with big project or see how you are feeling. I swear, they are not purposely trying to embarrass you, they just want make you smile. That is why I believe in family. My family is the only true friends I have. When I’m ugly and rude to my mom she still cooks me dinner and wants to hang out with me, though I don’t get away with it. They love me; and that is all anybody wants, love. I believe in family. I believe everyone should have a family whether they are a blood relation or not.

Service, one single act of kindness could turn around the day, or life, of another person. You can talk to them or just listen to what they have to say. You could give them a hand with their grocery bags or bring them some food. When you do something for someone else they feel wanted, and important enough to be alive. Those actions mean a lot to the person you are helping. When you serve your community, you help make it a better place to live for you and the people around you. Community service brings people from all around to the community together to make it grow. Giving of yourself can accomplish many amazing things.

I believe in faith. Faith is one of the strongest things that a person can have, because when there is nothing left, we still have faith. I know this is somewhat of a cliché but that doesn’t take away the power of this message. Faith is what helps drive us to our success. When a person is diagnosed with cancer or other ailment, hope is what brings them through it. A person’s faith will give them confidence and perseverance to get through something, because they believe. Faith and belief are two actions that are intertwined together. If person believes that something will be done their faith will help them to preserver. That is the only way a person can succeed, by believing.

Family, service, and believing are some powerful things. It is those thing that help a person grow and learn and be successful, this I believe.