Sloane - Indian Wells, California

I believe in the power of sticking to your word. Not many people do it, but I think that it is the right thing to do. When you promise someone something, I don’t think you should just take it away from them without an explanation. I am writing this essay because someone did this to me. They promised me something that I didn’t get.

All of this happened to me at my work. I work for Marriott, so they are open on big holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, New Years Eve, and also New Years Day. I knew I would have to be working a lot of holidays, but I didn’t think all of them. Everyone was promised one holiday of their choice, my holiday was New Years Eve. I chose this holiday, because every year my family and I go to Glamis to ring in the new year. Everyone in our department already had their holiday off, so know it was my turn. I find out on the Friday before New Years that I wasn’t going to get my holiday off. I was very upset because they promised me this, and I had already planned my vacation. I tried to speak up but whatever I said didn’t help.

I tried talking to managers, but nothing was working. It felt like I was invisible and that nobody cared what I did, as long as I showed up for work. I then started to think about how society is today, and how you cant trust anyone around you. It made me sad to think that this is what our world has come too, a big bowl of lies. This world is not the same as it was 30 years ago, and either are the people. Some people used to respect others, now it seems that no one even cares what you do or say.

I don’t think many people stick to their word anymore. They do what they want to do, not what’s right to do. No matter how hard you try, something’s don’t turn out the way you want them to be. I guess that’s just life and you have to deal with it. I’m sure other people have been stuck in a situation like this, and its very hard because you have to choose between your job and your family, and usually what you choose ends up being the wrong decision. Trust me, I know.

When I have children in the future, I don’t want their lives to be like this. I want them to be able to trust people around them, not have to worry about what their going to do. I believe anyone has the power to help change the world, and I hope one day I will be able to help make that change, because trust is such an important value in life, and I don’t want to see it just thrown away.