Alex - salt lake city, Utah

Soundtrack of My Life

There is one thing I have realized in my short sixteen years, and that one thing is music connects me with my emotions, and more than any other form of expression, music provides every human with a connection to their feelings, their friends, their family, and to each other.

Music is a connection to my feelings and it also provides me with a sense of safety and certainty. When I’m feeling down, I like to listen to calm alternative music like Postal Service. Music can provide me with a place where I can get away and be alone for a little bit. When I’m feeling happy I like to listen to songs with a strong base beat from artists like Kanye West, Jack Johnson, or Sublime. But, just listening to music can also bring out an emotion that I was not expecting.

Music also provides me with a connection to other people. While I may not have a lot in common with someone, music can instantly brings people together and creates a certain amount of equality. Of course I don’t like it when my Dad or Mom happen to like some really cool song that I also like.

Certain songs bring back wonderful memories. When I was in Hawaii, I listened to Izzie (Israel Kamakawiwo’ole) , and now every time I hear any Polynesian music it reminds me of being on a sandy beach.

The song Yellow by Coldplay always reminds me of a really good family friend. Her name was Stacey and she had cancer. When she died it was so sad because she was like a second mom to me. I loved her. After the funeral I sat in the car and thought about all the good times I had with Stacey. I was also listening to “Yellow” and now every time I hear that song I immediately think of Stacey.

Music helps me deal with hectic situations. I got into a huge fight with my Mom. We were screaming at each other and bad things were said. I was pretty steamed, so I went and locked myself in my room to cool off. I put a play list together on my i-pod and put it in my i-home to play it. I brought the i-home into the bathroom, turned on the play list and got into the shower. I was in the shower for a long time listening to the play list. When the music stopped I got of the shower, dried off and got dressed and then went upstairs to apologize to my Mom. Music gives me time to think.

Music is so important to me, I don’t know what I could possibly do with out it. Music brings me joy when I’m happy and comfort when I’m down. I believe there is real power in music for everyone.