Grace - High Bridge, New Jersey

I believe that I am nothing more than a small, miniscule part of this planet; the earth and its universe being a part of something bigger still.

It’s astonishing I know, if you stop to really think about it. It can make all your goals and accomplishments suddenly seem small and meaningless. It used to trouble me a little when I was younger, but now I see it’s more about being humble, and I’m learning that being humble is a good thing.

This thing I believe we’re all a part of has no name. It’s God-like to me, yet I don’t need to put a face on it. And even if I did it wouldn’t make a difference. This being, this form of life is tremendous….awe inspiring. It’s the stuff that scientists slave over, astronauts search for and clerics try to explain. Me, I don’t need an answer. I’m just happy to be a part of the whole thing. Besides, I already know no one is ever going to be able to figure it out. I don’t think that’s part of the plan. It’s something that our little human minds would never be able to comprehend.

I believe that my job here is to live my life the way I choose without causing too much trouble, suspecting however that my destiny may already be determined. And although I’m sure I play some role in the big scheme of things, I think it’s no more important than the role of a honey bee who pollinates the flowers or the sparrow who comes to my bird feeder and sings outside my window.

I understand this whole matter best when I work in my garden. What I experience there is certainly a spiritual event. As I dig my fingers deep into the warm soil, and I breath in it’s unique essence, I realize that plants and creatures have lived and grown from what I now hold in my hands, and some have died, returning again to where they started. It is a cycle of present and past. It is endless. And I am comforted by this knowledge. I feel safe and connected. I feel peaceful. This is where I belong. This is my church, my garden.

In a time where religion can cause war, where people are finding it harder and harder to have a quiet place to live, where the grind of every day responsibilities and the worries that go along with them can make an individual feel hopeless, I find salvation by stepping back and seeing the simple beauty in the world.

I believe I am fulfilling my purpose just by being, and experiencing this beautiful place we call Earth. And so I’ll spend the rest of my life marveling at it’s sunsets, feeling sorrow for it’s cruelty, fearing it’s storms, considering it’s fragility, protecting it’s creatures and respecting my fellow man. This I believe is what I am meant to do.