Jessica - essex jct, Vermont

Throughout my childhood, I never thought that miracles could happen. I figured they could only happen in books or movies. When I was 12 years old, I thought my life was over and that nothing could fix it, until my Aunt Suzy and Uncle Ben stepped in and took me into their care. I now believe that miracles do happen, despite what others say. Not living with a mother and a father is hard, but having great guardians that care for me a lot is a miracle to me.

When I was 12, my mother passed away from cardiac arrest. Until this day I still think that it is unfair that she is gone, but I know she is in a better place. Living in New York with my mother, stepfather, and five siblings was not easy. When my mother passed away I was afraid that I was going to have to stay in New York and not have the best life that I could.

When all my family showed up at my home, I found out that I would be moving to Vermont to live with my aunt Suzy and Uncle Ben. I would have to change my whole lifestyle. I had to change schools, I had to make new friends, I had to get used to a new room, and new rules. My Aunt Suzy and Uncle Ben have always been there for me and they helped me with this transition. Living in New York I was not the best student and I did not like school. School was just a place to fool around and hang out with my friends, I never took it seriously. It was hard to concentrate because when I came home and I had questions on my homework nobody would help me, and it made me frustrated that they didn’t care enough to help me. My aunt and uncle helped me concentrate on school, and they helped me get better grades by helping with my homework or helping me study for a test. They have always been there for me and supported me. They support me with most everything I choose to do. When my mom first passed away I was devastated but, by my Aunt Suzy and Uncle Ben supporting me emotionally, I have been able to make it to where I am now. They support me spiritually, by making me go to church and grow closer to God. Whatever it is that I choose to do they are here for me. My Aunt Suzy and Uncle Ben do everything possible they can for me because they love me more than anything and just want the best for me. For example I know this because when they ground me I know that it hurts them more than it hurts me, but they are only doing it because they want me to realize what it is I did, and to learn from the mistake I have made. My Aunt and Uncle support me in ways that I was never supported when I lived in New York, and for that I am thankful.

They are my miracle, and I am very lucky that I have them as my guardians. I know I could not ask for any one better to raise me. I do miss my mother but I know that she is watching me and she is helping me, which is another miracle. If I am in a situation and I can’t figure out what to do I think about what my mother would do, and I think about the decision I should make so that she will be proud of me. It is a miracle because I know that she is not here but I can feel her presence. I am so fortunate that I have a family that cares for me a lot. I don’t know what I would do if I did not have them. It is a miracle that I have a great family that only wants the best for me. Miracles can happen if you believe.