Elizabeth - Manhattan Beach, California
Themes: humanism

I believe in energy. Some might call it coincidence. Others might call it fate. And still others might call it luck. I call it energy.

When I was younger, I used to tell friends that I would “send them good vibes” for a test that they were taking during first period. I would think of them during class and send a little wish for them to do well. I didn’t actually—at that point—think I was doing anything extraordinary for them. It was just a thought.

Today, though, as I sit here waiting to turn a year older, I realize that my life’s experiences have taught me that I wasn’t so silly as a child. My “good vibes” weren’t so off-the-wall; rather, this transfer of energy was much like “saying a prayer” or “sending positive reinforcement” toward someone that might be needing a little boost.

I’m not saying that I believe in magic. Energy is not magic at all. Rather, energy is that surge that we feel every day. That essential burst that pushes us to five o’clock or that rush that allows us to finish yet one more mile. Energy is that thing that comes to life every New Year as we gather all of our positive ideas to be implemented over the course of the next 12 months.

Energy isn’t always so obvious though; it’s not always so bold, loud, pungent. Energy can be subtle—the simple turn of a head coming from someone in the car next to you while stuck on the freeway; you know—the guy you were staring at from the safety of your own vehicle, only to have him look over at you within seconds? That was energy. Or the intense power felt from a hug or a hand placed on your shoulder—a touch that sends a surge down your spine and a tingle into your ears. Energy.

For me, energy is what brings me toward the positive in life. It is what teaches me to look for good in people, and steer away from the bad. It is what makes me chuckle on my way to work, and furrow my brow in confusion when events happen in such a seemingly perfect sequence so as to make my life take a drastic turn. It is energy that makes me pick up the phone to call my mom just as she begins to call me and it is energy that makes my sister and I begin humming a tune at the exact same time.

Some might call it all coincidence, fate, luck. In fifth grade I called it “vibes” and when I was a Christian I called it faith. Now I call it energy. And it is in energy that I believe.