Loren - Des Plaines, Illinois

Dance is a form of physical art that expresses the dancer’s deepest emotions that is easier to explain through movement.

Dance: To move one’s feet or body, or both, rhythmically in a pattern of steps, especially to the music. That right there would be the definition of what you do, but that’s not what it is for me, there’s more to the definition of dance to me. That would be the definition of dance if you were to look it up in a dictionary. I strongly believe that the true definition of dance is a form of physical art that expresses the dancer’s deepest emotions that is easier to explain through movement. I was always able to dance when I was down, alone, sad, or when I just wanted to express all of my mixed feelings and emotions. Most people say to talk about what’s bothering you, go talk to someone you trust, or go write down what you feel. That never worked for me. I danced! I danced all the pain away, I danced all the sadness away, I danced all the tears away, and I dance for happiness. It’s just something I love to do. It’s just me.

I was three years old when I was introduced to my first dance class. But according to my mother I danced before I was able to walk. So she knew that I would be a dancer from the start. I guess it was a natural thing for me to do, it was in me. I danced day and night. I would wake up my mother and ask her to put on music in the middle of the night so that I could dance. I don’t think that my mother once said no, she would dance with me. I continued with dance. Iv done master classes, danced in studios in Chicago, I was in a company. I have taken a variety of dance classes. I love it.

Back in middle school, I was on the schools pom/cheer squad. I loved it. I loved performing in front of people. I loved pumping up the spirit of the crowd. I loved putting my emotions into all the dances I would perform. There was one specific time I remember the most though. It was when I was in seventh grade. The day started with me going off to school. The day ended with me finding out that my grandmother past away. I found out when I was at my basketball game. My mother rushed to Algonquin to tell me the news. I was about to perform and still did. I was so devastated, but I knew that my grandmother would want me to dance. She always supported me when I danced. I knew that she would be proud of me. I had so many mixed emotions and that time. I didn’t know what to feel and what I should be feeling. I was sad with tears, angry at death, but at the same time I knew that she was in a happy place and wouldn’t be suffering and going through pain anymore. I danced all those emotions and feelings. I know for a fact that I have never danced like that in my life. I was so proud of myself. So was everyone else. But the only reason why I was able to dance the way I did was because I was able to show my emotions through dancing. Not by writing it down on a piece of paper or either talking to a friend and family. You were able to tell through my dancing.

When I was a freshman, a little bit older, something else similar happened. No one died. But I danced my emotions and showed my feelings through this specific form of physical art. It was an ordinary Monday for me. I had Orchesis (dance troupe) from 3:45 pm to 9:00 pm. It was a long night. During one of my breaks I got a text message. It was from I guy that I have been on and off with since sixth grade. At that point we weren’t going out, we just had a thing. He sent me a text saying, “I’m sry I didnt kno wat I was thinking!” I was confused. Something must have happened. I asked him, and he told me that he holed up with a girl and felt horrible. He wasn’t the only one. I felt horrible. The guy that I have been on and off and always had a thing for just hooked up with one of the most promiscuous girls in school. I felt like I wasn’t good enough, that I needed to do more to get his attention, I needed to be more like her. There were so many thoughts running through my head at one time. It was time for me to dance. Everyone could tell that I was so upset. Not because I was crying, just because I put so much into dancing, they could tell. I didn’t know how to express my emotions in any other way. I go to dance for anything.

Dance is a form of physical art that expresses the dancer’s deepest emotions that is easier to explain through movement. I can express all my feelings and all my emotions. All my sad, lonely, depressed, scared, and happy moments are expressed through me and shown to many people. It’s a way for me to live. I love it. And it’s a big part of life. We need to express our feelings, and I can do that through dance.