Tania - Palm Desert, California

There are many journeys one must take and many obstacles one must overcome to reach total happiness, and not even then can you reach that point without a foundation to rely on. I believe in the people who support you, encourage you, love you, and even sometimes disappoint you. , those people that I hold deep in my heart, my family.

My family consists of my mom and my older brother, my parents got divorced during the year two thousand two, when my dad chose to have an affair, I was eleven then and I felt as if my whole world came crashing down before my eyes. My dad after all was my hero and I looked up to him, he understood me and listened to all my problems. I couldn’t believe this was happening to my family, my parents seemed so happy and I just didn’t understand why.

The days that came were full of so much confusion and sadness for me. I hated my dad for doing what he did to my mom and I was mad at my mom for making my dad move out of the house. There were days that I cried so hard that my face became swollen and then there were those nights when my mom, my brother and I all slept in her huge bed together just to keep each other company.

Somehow the days started to get easier for me I started to understand the reasons for my dad’s actions. My mom helped me and my brother to see that my dad, despite of everything he did, wasn’t a bad person she believed that somehow the alcohol and all the stress from work had gotten to him and that’s why he had done what he did. Together the three of us talked about our feelings and expressed all the sadness we had built up inside, they are my rock, my true friends. I confide all my troubles and worries in them knowing that they always have a piece of advice to give.

It has been six years now since my parents have been divorced but it still hurts me deep inside knowing that I don’t have my dad there to talk to or to just simply hug. I do see my dad now from time to time and it just saddens me to see the way his life is going. In my eyes he used to be so strong so kind and so handsome and now I can’t help but to think that he is wasting his life away on alcohol and drugs. I love my father very much and I’ve forgiven him for any wrong doing he has done and for the pain he put upon our family. I know that I will have many people in my life that I will care about and whom will care about me but people come and people go but I know deep in my heart that family is forever.