Amanda - Palm Desert, California

Being Set Free

Have you ever wondered why people who doubt never see miracles, but those who do, get to experience them? Why fear takes hold of skeptics, yet freedom is in the hearts of those who believe? The answer is more than easy. It’s just one small word that anybody can say. But not everybody lives in it, not everybody takes it deep to their core, not everybody walks side by side with it, nor do all share it. It’s something I’ve come to learn that I can’t live my life without, nor get enough of. Everyday, I find more and more, and I never let it go. It binds me to the cornerstone of my life, it keeps my eyes looking to heaven, and it fills my being from head to toe; it’s faith.

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always believed in God. No, not some generic “higher, all-seeing deity”, but the God. The God whose only son came down to earth to walk with us for a while, and whose triumph over death set us free. You see, a lot of people “believe” in God; that there is some great power up above, watching over and keeping the universe going. But I’ve learned that there’s a difference, there’s a huge difference between having faith and just believing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once described it as trust. He said, “All that I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.” That’s a huge leap to trust, to have faith, in things one has not seen. It’s one that I’ve made in my life, and now, truly I am set free. Faith has set me free from worry, doubt, fear, and from the feeling that I am in the dark. I know and believe that I am not, therefore, how could I be?

Faith in my Savior gives me the security in knowing that I am taken care of. I now know that there are certain things in this world that I have no power over, and, by myself, cannot change. It took me a while to learn this. It certainly wasn’t an easy concept to realize and, more importantly, to take to heart. Most every night I used to lie in bed and go over all the things that were not going how I wanted them to in my life. Worry would sweep over me, and I’d feel scared and more worried; I just couldn’t do it all. Worrying like that never gave me any peace, nor did it solve anything.

God promised us that, just as he doesn’t fail in clothing the flowers with the most beautiful of robes, and feeding the birds throughout the year, that He will never fail to see us, His children, through this life. Not until I realized this, that placing my problems at the feet of my Lord and having faith that He will never fail me, was I truly set free.