Lauren - Bermuda Dunes, California
Themes: family, setbacks

Living in the desert for eighteen years of my life, I have grown to not fully appreciate the mountains that surround me. They block my city from harsh storms (most of the time) and provide a very beautiful and scenic place to live. But what mountains also do, is help you live your life to full potential and make you a stronger person. They provide a means of bettering yourself by conquering the hardships in your life.

Since I was little, my mother always said that there are mountains in your life that you will have to get over. Needless to say I had no idea what she was talking about. Was I supposed to go and climb over a mountain? Yes, I was. One of personal gain and life; not a physical mountain. It’s kind of like “the grass is greener on the other side” and the climb up is the nasty troll that won’t let you over the bridge.

The climb up the side of a mountain is the hardest part. The part where you work your hardest to achieve your goal and strive for top. For example, my parents got divorced about three years ago, and that was like mount Everest to me. Getting used to the fact that my parents were actually divorced was my climb up the mountain. During that time I felt like my life was falling apart, I moved out with my mom and then moved back in with my dad and it was crazy. Then after about a year or two of that, I reached the top, which was definitely a sigh of relief. Now my family and I are on the way down which is the “cooling” phase.

There are still some bumps on the way down, but if you ever look at a mountain, there are always going to be rocks in your way. I believe in family, I believe in struggle, I believe in getting over things and making your life as good as it can be. I believe in mountains.