Sierra - Salt Lake City, Utah

When you’re walking down the street and you see someone dressed in bright purple boots, a pink shirt, a flamboyant hat with a feather in it, and a cape, you’re most likely going remember them. If you saw someone wearing a plain white t-shirt and jeans walking down the street are you going to even remember what they were wearing passing by them?

I believe in originality. In everything that I do, I think to myself, has someone done this before, or am I the first? I love to make my own jewelry, because for one thing I can make it exactly the way I want it and I know that no one else has the exact same jewelry I do. I don’t like to be the same as other people. I wear a uniform to school but on the weekends I wear clothes that fit who I am, not who some fashion designer is or who one of my friends is, just me. If one of my friends has a good idea other people might start to copy them, but I don’t. I try to avoid being like other people. All I aspire to be in life is just me, nobody else. I try to express this through what I wear and how I act.

What I wear is a big part of my originality. When someone tells me my outfit looks “interesting”, meaning that it doesn’t match very well or that they don’t like it, I tell them thank you. I love to hear other people’s opinions about what I am wearing or what I am doing because it lets me know that my quest for originality is paying off.

I became aware of my belief in originality when I was in eighth grade. I went to a small school and there were only 25 kids in my class. One day one of the girls wore a ribbon in her hair, the next day about half of the girls had copied her. For some reason this bothered me because the first girl was just trying to be original and then every one had to copy her. After that day I vowed to myself that I would try to never copy anyone’s fashion style. I told myself that I would wear what I wanted just as long as I was happy with what I was wearing.

I didn’t wear certain clothes because I was trying to impress someone or because I was following a fashion trend. I just wore them because I thought they were cool.

Today if I see someone wearing something very different I try not to judge them and I remind myself that they are probably just like me. They want to be original and I want to be original. I believe in originality and live it everyday of my life.