Jonathan - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe that when you do good things, good things will happen. A common saying that means so much. I’m not necessarily saying that if you choose to do the right thing during everyday dilemmas you’ll be rewarded with something physical, like cash. The rewards that I’m thinking of can give you boosts spiritually and emotionally.

Opportunities to make the right choice come to me every day, whether it’s something like picking up trash off of the floor or making the decision to not talk behind another’s back. No matter what situation I’m faced with, in the end, I know if I’ve made the right decision.

The greatest motivation for doing good is the overall great feeling that one gets.

There’s really no perfect way to describe it. You just have the knowledge that you did something right and it will ultimately empower you.

I still think about my brother whenever I make decisions in my life. I’ll never forget the first time my brother said that if I did good things, good things would happen. He was giving me this long talk one night, and, being a fourth grader, I really didn’t take any of it in. Then, out of the blue, he said that if I acted better, if I shaped up, in the end, good things would happen. This just stuck in my head for some reason. I kept running it over and over in my head. Over the next few weeks, I began to put those wise words into action. I mowed the lawn when ever I was asked. I stopped moaning when I was asked to clean my room. Eventually, I noticed that almost always those words ran through my head, and in the end, I knew that I did good. Even if I didn’t get anything for making a right choice, I just felt much better about myself.

I believe that this ideology is so common and well known, that most don’t take it very seriously. I believe, though, that this has made me a much better person. I’ve just had this little saying in my head for so long and, thanks to my brother, doing the right thing is almost automatic for me. I believe in my brother and I believe that when you do good things, good things will happen.