Sierra - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe that time is not unlimited.

Ever thought where did the day go? Most of the time that’s what I think, I wake up at 7am and before I know it, it is 8 pm. I think to myself where did they day go, wow, I only have 2 hours left to do my homework.

This is how my life is starting to feel, like the clock is permanently set to fast forward. I am constantly reminding myself that time is not unlimited. Each day there is so much that I want to accomplish, but I never even get close to completing everything.

I came to hold this belief when my family was on a plane ride back from Paris, France. We had been in Paris a week and I had brought some homework with me, but of course none of it had gotten done. Even though we were in Paris I had had a lot of time where I was just sitting there reading a book or playing video games. I thought to myself, “Why do I even bother to bring work with me? I know that I’m not going to do it”. I always think that I am going to have so much more time than I do have, or I just waste my time. That is the moment when I realized that we, as humans, don’t have forever to accomplish what we want. We have a limited amount of time. Everything has a deadline, but most of all our lives have a huge deadline, death.

Each day as I get a little older, time seems to fly by even faster than the day before. My 16th birthday is just around the corner. When I think back to my 15th birthday it seems ages ago, but when I think about the intervening year nothing has really changed in my life, nothing important has been accomplished. Maybe tomorrow I will wake up and I will be 85 and on my death bed, nothing worthwhile accomplished

Maybe, just maybe tomorrow I will discover a cure for cancer, with something as simple as watching water drizzle from the clouds. Time may not be unlimited, but it can bring many good things to a person’s life. For some, time brings nothing but pain, for others, time brings nothing but pure bliss, but for most, time brings an ordinary life. Time passes us by as quickly as one can blink, but our lives are not a waste of time.

The accomplishments and defeats mark the time in our lives, everything else is just an in between moment of existence. I believe that time is not unlimited, but with our accomplishments and defeats we can make it seem to last forever.