Cassy - Salt Lake City, Utah

Wrongs Can Always Make a Right

I believe in finding a positive in a negative.

The day I was told my parents were separating, I thought my life was over. Being a teenager I didn’t want to be taken away from my dad or school, then my mom told me we were moving to Salt Lake, an hour away from my home of 14 years. The only things I could think of were not being with my dad, and moving to a new school where I didn’t know anyone. For the first few months I didn’t even try to make friends, all I wanted to do was move back with my dad; moving back became a daily argument with my mom, and I blamed her for my anger, and sadness when I knew I was the one to blame. Then one day I realized that I couldn’t expect good things to happen if I just sat around, I had to make them happen for myself; so I changed from thinking negative, to having a positive attitude about the change.

By the end of the year I realized moving to a new school was the best thing that ever happened to me. I had built the best friendships and relationships anyone could ever ask for, and the best part, we were all happy; and I had finally accepted my parent’s separation. This was my first experience in finding many positives in a negative. All I had to do was try, and stay positive.

Recently my belief was truly put to the test. I couldn’t wait for Christmas break; I already had plans of spending time with my dad, and going to Mexico with my mom to spend time with my grandparents. We knew my grandma had been very sick for a while, but my family assured us she was ok; and after not seeing her for two years all I wanted was to see her. I only saw her for about 20 minutes while I was there, the rest of the time she was in the hospital. The day before New Year’s Eve I woke up and knew something was wrong; later that day my grandma passed away. The rest of the day we had funeral services, and we buried her the next day. I was in shock, but being surrounded by family helped me cope. It was the first time I had experienced a death in the family, but I know that it happened for a reason and my grandma was strong enough to wait and see my mom and me one more time. I know that she will always be with me, and that now she isn’t in pain. Because of this I feel closer than ever with the family I see every two years, and I know that’s what my grandma would have wanted for us. Her passing moved all of us in a positive direction in being a closer family, and that’s what counts.