Chris - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: carpe diem

A Universal Mantra

I believe in living life to the fullest. I feel that this is the only true way to live life, as if every day is your last. Doesn’t everybody want to feel accomplished when they die? Every day should present a new challenge and yet another opportunity to try something new. It doesn’t really matter what the new thing is; it could be a food, a sport, an instrument, even a new route to school or work.

As I go along in my life, I look for chances to go out of the ordinary. When I ski, I look for new lines to take. When I walk around town, I intentionally go out of my way to see something new. When I eat at a restaurant, I order foods I have never tried.

Right now, you may be thinking, “Is that really a good, to live without structure”. This life can still have a set structure, but with slight variations every day. Does it not get boring to do the same exact thing constantly?

If you are going for something slightly more extreme, then just live to have fun. Get a job you like, do things you like, and while doing those things, enjoy yourself. If you are skiing or snowboarding, ski quickly, hit big cliffs and jumps, learn new tricks, and ski deep powder. Take an every day thing, double it, and you will find that it can be much more fun than you previously thought. If you are a chef, learn new recipes. Expand your horizons to include difficult meals, not just quick and simple ones. Go out just for fun, deciding what to do as you go along.

Living in this manner is not difficult, but it takes a certain amount of motivation to shake things up. All you need to do is find a few things you enjoy, stick with them, and then take them to a new level. You don’t necessarily need to be the best in that field, just the best that you can be. Excuse me if that sounds clichéd, but it is true. So take my advice if you want, or ignore it. The only benefit to taking it is having a more fulfilling life. This, to me, is a large enough benefit to occasionally risk certain parts of modern life such as some comforts and sometimes money. We all know that money and creature comforts aren’t everything. I feel that this belief holds true for all walks of life.