alexis - Layton, Utah

Creativity and Imagination

I believe in the power of imagination and creativity. As an artist, I love a blank piece of paper. A paper with no marks, scratches, or dents. A blank piece of paper is full of possibilities and opportunities. I believe in making the first mark and create whatever I want with no limitations other than my own lack of creativity.

Empires have been created with imagination and creativity. The Walt Disney Empire is the best example I can come up with right now. It is amazing to me that what started with a mouse ended up being a dream world, a Magic Kingdom, for thousands of children, of all ages and sizes, all over the world. Walt Disney failed countless time and became bankrupt at one point but nothing could stop his power of imagination and his creative heart.

I have been in love with art for as long as I can remember. As a child I remember spending hours drawing stick figures, symbols and box looking houses. To me those stick figures were more than just graphite on paper. They were people with lives, dreams, hopes and adventure. I remember the excitement of creating something new and later asking what other people felt when they looked at my drawings.

My drawing process, now days, since I’m 15, consists of crying, ripping, falling out of my chair laughing while eating leftovers with coffee or tea. I love to create at nights. It is quiet, peaceful with no interruptions on cleaning my room, doing laundry, listening to the nagging that my mom sometimes does and the burden of school. I can then imagine and create most but not all the time. Sometimes being artist is tough, nothing comes to mind and I am officially in an Artist-block. I believe that Walt may have gone thru the same process and that is why he used to say, “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.”

One my biggest challenges is to know how to portrait my mind and emotion to others and create an alternate world from it. I soon discover than one drawback to being an artist is that people see things differently according to their experiences. I might draw a dog running after a deer trying to portrait freedom, open space and happiness only to find out that my neighbor thought I was drawing a hunting scene.

I believe in the rollercoaster of the artist life. When I go through my creative process I may not have fun all of the time. But I do believe that one day my dream of becoming a professional artist will come true like Walt Disney’s. I love life as an artist and making a first mark and a brand new beginning on a blank piece of paper.