Ryan - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: peace

I believe in solitude because it is important to find time to yourself. After all you are the only person you have to live with 100 percent of the time. If you are not able to enjoy being with only yourself how are you suppose to live a fulfilling life. Many people are entirely reliant on another person to be content with or enjoy themselves. This is not healthy.

Like many people during summers or weekends when I had down time, and all my friends were busy and couldn’t hang out i would find myself completely alone. I would go crazy with boredom because there was no one around but me. I would sit and complain to myself hoping to grind away the hours until something entertaining would come my way.

In the Eighth grade I learned first hand how uncomfortable and disabled people can be when they are confronted with silence. It happened in my english class, when one day when me and my class mates were taking our seats as class began. Our teacher was sitting in the front of the room not saying anything to us. A couple minutes went by and he still hadn’t said anything, everyone in the room was noticeably uneasy and many were trying to talk or make jokes to ease the awkward silence.

After he had made his point our teacher spoke up. He pointed out to us how uncomfortable we were when it was silent, and how we weren’t able to enjoy a few minutes to just relax by ourselves before class started. This also made us realize how lost we all were without someone to lead us. We all knew what was expected from us at the start of every class but we still couldn’t do our simple tasks without someone directing us.

It wasn’t until recently that I saw how important time to myself is. I realized during my alone time that it is good to have times when I am alone with nothing besides myself and my thoughts, I also realized that I didn’t share a very good relationship with myself if I wasn’t able to enjoy a few hours alone.

Now, during my chaotic school year I find myself wishing for time to only myself, when im not constantly surrounded by people and responsibilities. Now I realize how important my few precious moments of solitude are. Its refreshing to have this alone time, once I have had time to regroup by myself I feel revitalized when i rejoin the fast paced life among people.

Through Solitude I was able to build a relationship with the one person that really counts in my life. Me.