Tess - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe in the power of a team.

I believe that personal success is always a cause for celebration but also that there is no greater reward than getting to the top and looking around at all the people that made the ride getting there, so worthwhile.

I believe that success and failure mean nothing if in the process you don’t learn anything. Teamwork to me means growing together, working together, failing together, and also succeeding together, all in order to reach a common goal.

There have been many times in my life where people have told me that in order to gain something you have to first loose something in the process. This has never been more true to me than in our fall soccer season this past year. To our team, loosing something meant loosing a coach who had been in the program for nineteen years, loosing some of our strongest players to injuries, and losing the first six games of our season. Though through each of our losses we found that we gained something in return. We gained a new coach and a new style of soccer. We gained players who stepped up to fill the positions needed. We eventually began to gain wins and our biggest gain of all was a state title at the end of our season. But what meant the most to me, were all the challenges that our team had overcome throughout the season. It was our journey to the top through all the doubts, failures, and success that I will always remember about that season. We came together as friends and as teammates to achieve something that I know each of us will remember for the rest of our lives.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski, the head coach of the Duke men’s basketball team, described the meaning of a team perfectly. He said, “ There are five fundamental qualities that make every team great: communication, trust, collective responsibility, caring and pride. I like to think of each as a separate finger on a fist. Any one individual is important. But all of them together are unbeatable.”

Teamwork is working one hundred percent on and off the field for the people around you and knowing that they will do the same. You are there for each other through difficult times. Teamwork means crossing the finish line, hand in hand, after achieving your goal.

A team requires responsibility. A team means working through failure together, and never giving up. A team means recognizing the potential of the people around you, and helping them reach that potential. A team means having pride in what you have accomplished and setting goals for what you know you can achieve. A team means fighting to become the best and leaving no one behind along the way. I believe the power of a team comes from the love of knowing that your ride to the top was not made from personal success but the success of the work that each player gave for one another and that that success can never be taken away.