Carrie - Salt Lake City, Utah

Less is Truly More

I believe that happiness is as simple as a sunset. By this I mean that the most happiness can be found in the simplest things on Earth. But now, more than ever, it seems as though this is forgotten. Consumerism has been taking over ever since the start of the industrial revolution long ago and now is a part of everyday life as TV commercials and social norms tells that we need more, more, and more.

I came to my conclusion of this last summer as I spent one of the last weeks of summer vacation in the Idaho lake town of McCall that has, what I consider, the world’s best sunsets. While I was spending the evening out on the dock with my family, like we did everyday, I watched one of those spectacular sunsets and realized that all of my best memories were like this one; they all involved the people and places I loved. They were all this simple.

None my most memorable memories where complicated with the love of material that the modern media tries to teach us. The memories etched in my mind ranged from baking cookies with my grandma to playing soccer in the park with friends, not the memories of getting my first cell phone or buying new clothes. And that’s when I found new meaning to what I already knew; that the things that matter most in life aren’t the ones with the price tags.

If tomorrow I had to give up all of my belongings, I think I’d be ready to do so because all I really need is my family and my friends. This is how I’ve come to look at each day by being thankful for what I do have but always keeping in mind that if I lost it all, everything would be okay.

During this past Christmas as I watched the traditional family movie, the Grinch from Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas said, “He puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before! Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas… perhaps… means a little bit more!” seemed to echo perfectly what I have come to believe, that happiness is as simple as a sunset.