Erica - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe in being yourself. In my sixteen tears of life (witch doesn’t seem like a long time.) I have been challenged with this more than… most people.

Being thirteen and the new kid in school was when this really hit hard for me. I had no friends and wanted more than anything to fit in. I went from group to group but I never fit in nor did they feel right. But I would sometimes act, dress and even talk differently just so people would accept me, if even just for a little while.

As time went on what I saw is that I went through dramatic stages, some of witch were preppy stage, gothic, punk, and nerdy stages. They often left me feeling uncomfortable and depressed. But I just thought I was “finding” myself.

I was in a nice word a “WEIRDO”. Or so I thought.

The extremes I took just to not “fit in” were horrible. I often over worked myself, had an eating disorder, forced myself rebel and got really depressed. But still I couldn’t stop. This continued all through 7th, 8th, and the begging of freshman year were I finally stopped caring. I had just one goal that year and it was to become real again.

Impact! Ah… Impact how I miss it. This was the primary source of the begging to find myself again. I met many other teens just like me and at first I didn’t want to be there. While in this program I was reminded how great of I person I am and could be. I learned that I didn’t need to be someone I wasn’t for people to like me and it was one of the first times in a while that people actually saw the real me and all that I am. My family and friends saw a great improvement and noticed and witnessed things they nor I never knew I could do. I was strong again. It was a great time of self discovery.

To become to were I am today I have been assisted by many great people who I cant thank enough. So Thank you!