Laura - Bountiful, Utah

This I believe

Everyone experiences “warnings” in their lives. You know that feeling in the pit of your stomach and the tingling at the back of your neck. When the sensation occurs you would normally be suspicious of shall we say “foul play”, or expect that something bad is going to happen quite soon.

I believe in premonitions. This for a person of my age is not a normal belief. A normal 15 year old would believe in something more common like love, happiness, or even faith. But when I was asked to think about my strongest belief, I came to the conclusion that the existence of premonitions is what I believe in. Now I’m not saying I can see the future or anything. I believe that everybody has minor and major premonitions in their lives. Minor ones like knowing when the food’s done or just knowing you’re going to cut your finger while chopping vegetables. Of course the major ones are obvious, when you know a disaster is going to strike, when someone is going to die, and even when you yourself know that you’re going to die soon.

I’ve had many minor premonitions in my life and one major one. The minor ones I’ve had were common. I knew the day I went riding my bike that I was going to crash (and I did and it hurt really badly). I knew a second before when I was cutting a lemon that it would slip and cut my finger. My major premonition is really what I base my whole belief around. I have to warn you, it’s very sad. My father passed away 4 and half years ago on August 11 2003. I think that the only way for anyone to understand why I believe in premonitions is to write about what happened. Of course at the time I was only 11 years old and I hardly understood death and mourning, I was still a little kid.

My dad was going on a business trip. I remember that distinctly, because we were all going to the airport to drop him off. My mom, my brothers and I all wanted to see Pirates of the Caribbean again at the theater, so it was a win-win situation. We drop off dad, and then get to see the movie. Everyone said goodbye, at the time my goodbye was quick and rushed, he had a plane to catch. I remember watching as he walked away, dragging an overnight suitcase behind him. We began to pull out (it was a slow going action because of airport traffic). Through the tinted glass I saw the last glimpse of my dad alive. That’s when I got the worst feeling in the pit of my stomach and I just knew that something bad was going to happen. But it was summer, and my childish innocence took over, I soon forgot the bad feeling.

On August 13 we found out that my father had passed away in his hotel room in Dallas, Texas. He had died from a heart attack. To this day that was the worst night of my life. In that early morning, a light shower of rain fell, fitting to our grief. With the rain came a beautiful double rainbow, right above our house. The guilt of knowing and not doing anything about it evaporated with the appearance of that rainbow. I knew that it was a sign that everything was going to be all right.

I believe in premonitions. When you know that something is going to happen, good or bad. Don’t get me wrong, I believe all that other stuff too, love, happiness, and faith. But the strongest in my heart right this second, would have to be the existence of premonitions. That might change and probably will. I don’t know the future.