Alexander - Sandy, Utah
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that living in the present is the best way to live life to its fullest. As a person in high school I tend to try and speed everything up in my life. I am always looking at the clock during class thinking that just another half hour and I am out again. Then my mind wanders to the prospects of the coming weekend, “What am I going to do?” or “Who am I going to hang out with?.” Then my mind may wander to the end of the quarter and whether or not my grades will be good. I spend so much time thinking about whether or not they will be good I forget to focus on the time that I am in and that if I want to see success in the future I need to start in the present.

During the Christmas season, life seems to go into hyper speed, one day it is December seventh and then all of a sudden Christmas is over, New Year’s has passed, and school starts the in a couple of days. I always think of what is to come in my life. On Christmas Eve, instead of just hanging out and enjoying the season, I was thinking about the next day and what I would get. Then on Christmas Day I was wondering what I was going to do on New Years. As the two holidays pass, I find myself thinking about Semester Exams and my four day weekend in two weeks. Looking into the future is not a bad thing but, living in the present is more fun. I look back on my sixteen day vacation and how if I had just focused on the good things happening right in front of me, time might slow down a little bit and I would have more memories of the great time.

When I look back at my life since fourth grade it feels as if I have just blinked and I am now in tenth grade. I remember my first time stepping into my sixth grade classroom and thinking how cool I was because I was another year older. Then I was in seventh grade and I looked at the eighth graders and thought how cool they were and that in just one year I would be one. That one year was fast and all of a sudden I was the oldest at my school. Then I was in ninth grade and it was time to start all over as the youngest again. Looking to the future is something that I do and I believe that living in the present will make life all the better.

In my life I believe that if I just slow down and take some time to breath, life could be even more amazing.