Robert - Salt Lake City, Utah

My family has always been very close. My mom, my brother, and I have always worked like a well-oiled machine: covering up for each other, always being there for one another, and, of course loving unconditionally. Then there is the outside family like cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and great friends. Whenever you get together with them you create great memories. We couldn’t live without each other. Even though we do sometimes fight and don’t always agree with each other, we need to have family in our life. They are most important when we got through times of trouble and need someone to be there for us. I have always believed in family.

My immediate family started in Sacramento, California which is where I was born. My mom faithfully worked full time while my brother and I attended St. Mary’s Catholic school. We had a great life there. We were both on sports teams and we made great life-long friends. Our house was perfect for our size and it was in a great location. I made many friends in my neighborhood and everyday I would go outside and play basketball with all the kids which was a great set-up because then my mom only needed to worry about my little brother. I remember one time we were really annoying my mom while she was trying to clean and as a punishment she made us go outside and play.

In a life-altering turn of events, my mom was forced to move us to Utah and leave our whole life behind when I was twelve. Not that Utah was a bad place, we had many friends and family here, but Sacramento was our home and our life was there. Moving had always seemed impossible but then all of a sudden it happened and we left home. It was a very tough time for my brother and I, and I don’t think we would have been able to get through it without the help of our family here.

Our best support came from my cousins, aunt, uncle, and my grandparents. The minute we got here they did everything they could to make us feel at home, from moving us into my grandparents home or to just being there with us to make sure we didn’t get lost in all the change that was happening in our lives. They always took care of us and were our comfort system when we just got too overwhelmed.

I remember at first feeling very scared that Utah would be immensely different and I wouldn’t be able to fit in. I soon found out that I was right: it was different, but I also found that with the help of my family, I could adjust to life here. My cousins especially helped. I was always at their house because it had a certain familiar energy about it and it made me much more comfortable. They probably got sick of me and my brother being there, but they never said anything and we were both grateful.

Eventually, I adjusted to life in Utah with the help of my family. I most definitely couldn’t have done it without them. No matter where I am, I will always know I can count on my family.