I Believe in the Power of a Smile

Teresa - Centerville, Utah
Themes: pleasure

I believe in the power of a smile. I believe that all smiles are beautiful and genuine. I believe that people from ages 1-101 can smile. I believe that each and every smile is a gift from God.

For as long as I can remember, I have loved to smile! I have always been what most would call a cheerful person. And, as hard as it was to force a smile at certain times, it always paid off. It was able to get me out of awkward situations, make someone else smile, and change my attitude. With a simple flash of my teeth (I always hoped there was nothing stuck in between them!) I was able to flip any scenario completely around.

However, there was a point in my life when I really struggled to smile. I wasn’t depressed or angry, just not as happy as I had once been. The beginning of my 8th grade year to the beginning of my 9th grade year was very difficult for me. Life, school, and sports, which had all been easy in the past, all of a sudden became challenging. The world seemed to have finally kicked it in gear and I was left in the dust. It was extremely hard for me; my smile seemed to disappear. To be honest, I didn’t even feel like myself. That’s when my family stepped in. With their loving support and guidance, I was able to catch up to the world, and along with my grand entrance of the new me, my smile came back as well. It was one of the best feelings I have ever experienced.

In today’s society, a smile seems to be overlooked. It is all about “the look”, and in creating that look, smiling was left out. Why? To be honest, I would rather look at a magazine where there are pictures of people smiling than giving a seductive or distant gaze. Happiness may not sell, but it is certainly true beauty. So what if a model’s teeth aren’t perfectly straight or pearly white? It is beautiful no matter what the condition is.

A smile is beautiful whether it be young or old, full or toothless, big or small, white or… not so white. Smiles are wonderful, and each time one is overlooked, a gift from God is missed.