Farid - Salt Lake City, Utah

Living Life With Perseverance

My family is originally from Barranquilla, Colombia, South America. However, today most of my family lives here in the United States. My father was a urologist in Colombia. He practiced with my grandfather, his dad, in my grandfather’s private practice. The problem that my father had was that Colombia was getting more and more corrupt every day.

One day he decided that he had to leave before things got even worse. He came to the U.S. about twenty years ago on January 25, 1988, along with my mother and my older brother, wanting to live the “American Dream.” When he arrived, he was practically no one in this country. None of his studies from Colombia were valid in the U.S. However, he never gave up. Thanks to his perseverance, he studied for ten more years and completed all of medical school in the U.S. He is now a certified pathologist, specialized in renal pathology.

Because of this story, I believe in perseverance. After seeing what my father did, for me giving up isn’t an option.

About 10 months ago, On April 22, 2007, my house burned down. It was a brand new home. My parents and I had only lived in it for about a week. When the incident happened, the saddest thing was to see my parents losing everything that they had achieved throughout the twenty years that they had been in this country. Everything that they had was being completely destroyed.

While it was happening, I thought that they would be completely destroyed inside. The whole time they just looked at the house, and watched as everything that they had was eaten away by the flames. The worst part for me was not being able to do anything about it. The only thing that I could do was sit there and watch them suffer.

One of the biggest things that helped me during the situation was perseverance. The day of the incident my father told me, “we can’t do anything about it right now, but we’ll work even harder later on and get everything back”. Once again his perseverance kicked in. For him, it was sad, but he was just going to keep moving forward like he had before.

At the beginning my entire family and I were completely in shock. But a couple of days after I told myself I couldn’t give up, and I didn’t. Instead, my perseverance kicked in, and I tried to help my family as much as I could. Eventually, we all had a positive and perseverant attitude. Not one person in my family, including myself, ever gave up.

Now my house is being rebuilt, and will be ready by the end of January, 2008. My family and I have gotten everything that we lost back, and we are all closer than ever. In the end, there was a positive outcome. And all of this is because my family never gave up, but instead always had perseverance.