Christina - Rollings Hills, California

The Colors of the Rainbow

My mom always showed me old 5 by 4 cm pictures from her childhood in black and white—no color. She painted in a few pictures and admitted the color that she sought colors within her old photographs. I always paint any plain black-and-white picture with invisible shades of color to help me imagine what may actually have been there.

I believe in rainbows. Rainbows bring varieties of color and diversity into our lives. They shape my life by making everything interesting and unique. Every object, place, and person I meet carries along some part of the rainbow. For example, I might interpret how a certain piece of clothing shirt might look in a different hue. In one of those kiddy-drawing books, I love coloring in the blank pictures with vibrant or gloomy hues to make each page unique; in my mind, I fill in and picture the colors for all the objects, places, and people I see.

Viewing life through a black-and-white film limits the ways you can view the world. At first, I pretty much dreaded taking non-color pictures in my Photo 1 class because every picture lacked the vibrant colors I usually saw. The blacks and the whites made me perfunctory primarily, yet I have learned to appreciate black-and-white photography because rainbows exist in the blacks and white too. Various types of blacks, whites, and even grays, exist throughout all my pictures. The blacks, grays, and whites shape different meanings for each picture. I like to call this the “rainbows in black and white.” However, true enough, black and white does limit the various ways life can be explored.

Rainbows exist everywhere, even in the most unlikely places. Our garage resembles a messy of pile of past memories. Inside the “seemingly boring” white boxes, resides my elementary school artwork. My drawings “pop” into life through the pastel crayons and markers I used. When I drew a picture of my family, each figure in my drawing had a specified color. Of course, my body was scribbled in my favorite color, pink. I continued with a pattern—red for my mom, orange for my sister, yellow for my grandma, green for my dad, and blue for my grandpa. Even when I was five, I believed in rainbows.

I believe in rainbows shaping our lives. Rainbows will continue to color in my life. The way they have shaped mine creates a separate personality for everything within my life.