Cameron - Manhattan Beach, California

The stoplight changed to red right as we got to the edge of the intersection. I glanced up to my mom to see if she was mad. I couldn’t see through the determination in her eyes. She wanted to get this done, and she wasn’t going to give up. I was 10 years old and in fifth grade, working on a project at 10:30 the night before it was due. I got the feeling that this shouldn’t be happening yet in my school career.

I believe that caring for things is what makes us do the crazy things we do. We might not want to be doing what we are at the time, but we still are doing it. We care about what we are doing, and we want to be successful.

I thought about this as we were racing off to Kinkos to make one last stop before my I-Search children’s marine biology picture book would be complete. I really didn’t want to be doing this. I really hated myself for not thinking of finishing this project in the two months I had to do it. And I really wanted to go to bed. There was still that little ball of fire inside of me that just wanted MY project to be better than everyone elses. It HAD to be the best! I HAD to be the best! I cared so much about this that I cried and begged my mom for help. I couldn’t go to school tomorrow with no project! What would everyone else think?! I didn’t want to know…

My mom seemed mad. She wasn’t being the questioning who my crush was, singing to that one song that would always play at her highschool dances, talkative person she usually was. I knew I had done something wrong, but this wasn’t the time to mope over that. Yes, she was mad, but I could also tell she too cared about this project. She wanted it to be good. She was proud of everything I turned in to teachers, so she cared too much for this one to go wrong.

The light changed to green. Mom stomped on the gas and we were going 55 mph on Rosecrans. Finally the Kinkos sign was in sight. We suddenly turned left into the parking lot and raced out of the car. We scurried past the employees before they could ask to assist us. We just wanted to get it over with. I searched through my stash of drawings for the sandpiper, which had to be redone after misfortunate happenings at the previous Kinkos visit 2 hours prior. As soon as I found it I carefully placed it on the copier and did my business. I walked out through those automatic doors with a smile on my face. I GOT TO PRESS THE BIG GREEN START BUTTON! My mom put her arm around me, giving me a squeeze of love.

I believe your strongest feeling inside of you is love and care for the things you do, no matter if it means making a 10:30 stop at Kinkos for some 5th grade project.