The Blob

Dylan - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe December 10, 1998 is a great day to celebrate. No, it is not my birthday, or a national holiday or even a random day off from school. It is the day my brother, Jack, was born.

I had an incredible seven years on this earth before this date. Being an only child was a pretty easy gig for me. I was also the only grandchild. So the words, “spoiled with love” was an easy label for me. I enjoyed my birthdays with the whole family celebrating, which included many material gifts. Christmas was the exact same. I had my parents’ full attention. Every sport I played; every play I performed, and every skill I mastered was met with great enthusiasm. Whether it was learning to walk or read or ride a bike. I knew I was the center of the universe; this would change on December 10, 1998.

After seven years of bliss, a new pink blob was brought home, Jack. This Jack was not particularly cute; in fact, I thought this bald, toothless thing that only cried and pooped was a grave mistake. When I finally asked my mom why a brother was supposed to be so great, I was told a simple fact that changed my life. She told me Jack was the only person on this Earth that God created with the same blood. He was it, no other person. We are blood brothers.

I know that is a very dramatic, over-used phrase. When my mom first told me that I would have a brother, I was so happy. He would be born; we would play, laugh, and confide in each other. We are seven years apart. What would you have in common with a blob when you are seven years old? I could not imagine it, but once I understood this was the only person on this earth I truly matched with, it changed me. Why I needed to write this is very basic. Most of us have siblings, but how many people have learned that having one is not a burden, it is an incredible gift. I feel, that if you look at a sibling in this way, it is really easy to bond. So yes, I understand how these blobs get in our way, in our space and under our skin- but I am thankful for my brother, Jack.

I know that you may find it hard to believe that at 16 my best friend is my nine-year-old brother, but it’s true. We play football together, skateboard, swim, and snowboard. We battle at videogames, do homework and love to travel together.

It has been such a gift to have a friend that is always there for me. I know that my life was forever changed on December 10, 1998. I am thankful I am not alone on this earth. I will always have my best friend, Jack.