Sibling Bonds

Antonia - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe in the innate bond between siblings. I believe there is a link between siblings at birth that naturally connects their love and life to be one. I have a younger brother and all of his life I have felt a union between us. Having a person always there for you and always feeling needed is one of those emotions that makes life truely beautiful.

At age nine, my mother bore a son. His name was Holden. The first day I held his tiny body in my arms, I felt this force between us, this immediate love: my sibling bond. A few weeks after his birth, he was diagnosed with Down syndrome, a mental retardation caused by a genetic disorder. Doctors said they didn’t know the extent of it, but he would need assistance his whole life. Granted, I was only nine, but hearing this had a very small effect on me. He was still my brother and nothing would change that. Holden and I are nine years apart and he has a mental handicap, and yet that has never hindered our bond.

Growing up with Holden, I never really was the person he would come to when he was in need of comfort. It was usually my mom, dad or grandma. But very seldom, he has done something to make them mad. So the only person in the house left to come to is his big sister; I never pass up the chance to be his favorite for a few moments. Nothing can compare to the few moments where I am the one he relies on for an immediate fix; where I am his best friend.

Holden and I are constantly pushing each other’s buttons, whether it’s me giving him ‘love pinches’, or whether it’s him sneaking in my room and throwing my pile of clean clothes yet to be folded up in the fan, we always provoke each other. And when he cries and tells on me, I laugh and say I was just playing. And five minutes later he is back in my room doing the same thing. But when someone else makes him cry, whether its my dad yelling at him to brush his teeth, or my mom getting mad at him for hitting, hearing him cry because he’s truly sad gives me this chill that makes me cringe. It’s this urge to go do anything for his sake, just so he’s happy again. Incidentally when he rarely sees me cry, he is never slow to bring me his toys, somehow instantly cheering me up. This is our bond. This is both of us being one in love, being siblings.

Although my brother and I have our differences, we are always together, living as one. I believe in the innate bond between siblings that is the meaning of sister and brotherhood. It is the need to make each other feel better, and to live a life truly as one.