John - 84106, Utah
Themes: respect

I believe that respect is important. It’s a silent non-aggressive way of making judgments. It is a way of forming a private bond with the individual that leads to order and a desire to meet or excess the expectations of our piers.

Personally I have always found respect hard to come by, I don’t respect people who try too hard, or people who are generous but I just don’t get on with. Rather I find I give respect to the people I see myself in, but who are a better, stronger version of myself.

Respect is not gained through superficial attributes or qualities like, money or looks, but rather with courage or strength in principals that we value. I am not confident so the people I respect most are those who are more socially adept and are at ease when speaking to large groups of people, and this is a quality I wish I had.

Respect seems so important that gangs and certain schools have adopted the word “respect” and along with the action of two people touching their closed fists together and then saying respect. As a greeting term. Signifying that you respect that person and harbor reverence and respect for that individual.

I think it’s just as important to have respect for yourself as much as you respect others. Sometimes I feel unhappy with myself, this usually happens when I see people who have achieved so much more that I, but I am not without respect for myself so it doesn’t take me long to leave behind the discontent and get on with my life. But I think if you had no respect for yourself it would be very difficult to bypass these feelings and you’d end up totally unhappy. We all see but shadow of this dissatisfaction, when we feel unhappy with ourselves. But those with no respect for themselves are unable to get out of the pit they are in.

It’s hard to pinpoint when I gain respect for someone, it’s just suddenly there, and I know that I had respected them for a longtime. I think that sometimes when you meet someone you just know you respect them, like you know when you’re friends with someone. It doesn’t need to be said, but you know you have it.