Ralph - Brooklyn, New York

What do I Believe?

I believe that we are all equal; that everyone has worth. I believe that the God of the Bible, and what God truly must be are two different things. I believe that no one, and I mean no one has the right tell the next person what to believe or how to believe. I believe that no one is inferior, or superior to anyone else, but that we all have different gifts: gifts given us by our creator through our parents. I think that one day a common event will bring humanity together. It would be an event that would show us all that one group of us couldn’t get along without all the other groups of us.

Those are my beliefs, and at least one of my thoughts. I have to tell you, though; my beliefs are not set in stone. They change as I get new information. My beliefs, like everything else, are always in a state of flux. What does that mean? It means that while my belief in God is constant, my belief in what God is changes from time to time. It means that, although people continue to do studies in genetics that try to show that one group of people are superior to the next, I remain unconvinced because I know that people are suited to the environments that they are born and raised in. If you were to drop me off in Sub-Saharan Africa, or north of the Arctic Circle I would probably not survive very long. By that same token anyone taken form one of those places would probably not survive long here in Brooklyn either.

I am an Episcopalian, like my parents, and their parents. I know what some of you may be thinking, “Oh, another rich, white Republican shielded from the realities of the world by privilege and money.” Well sorry to disappoint: I’m none of those things save Republican. The people that I grew up with used to call me white because I spoke English the way my parents, and teachers taught me to (what nice thing to say to a child).

One of the things that I remember with great clarity from my childhood is a comment made by Fr. Herlong at Trinity Church Wall Street. He Said: we don’t have all the answers no one does. That’s a paraphrase, but what I have always believed that he meant was we have to find our own truth, and that it will probably be different from the next persons, but that it’s no less valid. I sometimes think that in our zeal to pen down absolute right, and absolute wrong we miss the bigger picture. That the universe is so interesting that it may be possible to be right and wrong all at the same time; that darkness and light may exist all at once, and with out time everything would happen all at once. I’m not a kook, but I remain open to possibilities.

Love Worf