Matthew - SLC, Utah

I believe in music that is uplifting and self-expressive. Music has the ability to change the way people think and feel, and in most cases does. We often overlook the fact that these vibrations are a part of everyone’s life and always have been. Music is a part of my life, and it seems to keep me up beat and full of creativity. I couldn’t imagine a day without music, and its ability to change any school day into a day worth smiling on or mentioning in the future is amazing.

No one person stood taller in influencing me with the love for music than my sister. I remember countless car trips where the car stereo would become my best friend. And melody after melody, any speaker after that day has a reservation and invitation to speak to me when it pleases. You see music isn’t just something that I wake up to, music is a part of my life, a part of soul, and a part of who I am.

Music speaks to me in it’s own separate language, and I dare to think it speaks to many other people alike. The language it speaks can heal or energize, spark a memory or induce crying. It’s powers are infinite and when I think of how early civilizations used music in ceremonies and the works, it’s appeal to human beings all across the world is no coincidence to me. It’s stood the test of time and I am sure it will until the end of time or until humans loose the ability to recognize the positive influences in their lives.

It was when I was young that I began to develop a yearning to be able to play musical instruments and create music myself. Through many years and many instruments I finally found the piano. I first started out playing the recorder and when my school believed that fifth graders were too mature to play it, moved on to the cello. I found no likeness in being restricted to plucking and strumming strings so I quit playing instruments for sometime. I went on to play instruments from drums to clarinets and then to guitar until my true love was found. The piano is so vast and so limitless. I soon began to draw connections between the piano and myself. Like how when I was clear minded, and relaxed my music came the same way, which was welcomed by my piano teacher. Sometimes my music pleased people, so why couldn’t it make them mad if it was terrible? Frustrate them or even heal them? The connections between music and people are obvious, sometimes we just don’t realize them.

My music began to make people mad, so I thought to leave it to professionals. Though I don’t play anymore, I realize that music will always be with me, and has the ability to uplift even the heaviest of souls. Music flows thorough my mind, body, and soul.