Katie - 98247, Washington
Themes: afterlife, death

What kind of life would you live if you knew you’d just be forgotten? I believe all people need to be remembered after they are gone. When I go to St. Peter’s cemetery, where my grandpa is buried, I often look around and see all the bare graves. The headstones overgrown with grass, and old dead flowers lying on the ground; overtaken with weeds. Would all these people have lived differently if they know their family and friends would have moved on with there busy lives with out them.

My house always has had many pictures on the walls. Many of those pictures are of me and my family with my grandpa. Working in the shop, at birthday parties, and playing out in the yard. I believe this is a way to keep the spirits of people who have died alive. When there are no pictures left of the deceived, the thought of them will get pushed farther back into your mind until your memory of them is no longer. It is just like at the cemetery, when people forget to see the ones they’ve lost, they leave the dead cold and lonely.

I believe all people deserve flowers and occasional company when they lay in their caskets. In time when, the visits and flowers stop coming, so does remembering good times and sharing new stories. A family must remember the ones they’ve lost together, with stories and laughter. Once those talks stop happening, they’ve truly forgotten.

It makes me really sad to think that I could ever forget my grandpa. I could never stop remembering sitting on his lap when I was little and reading the Bernstein Bears books with him, and watching the Seattle Mariners play at the Kingdome, eating popcorn and cheering on Griffey. And that’s why I believe all people deserve to be remembered.