I believe

Amanda - Millersville, Maryland
Themes: sports

I believe in action. That moment of impulse and speed. Waiting at the starting line with my palms glistening and my heart racing at the sight of the starter’s raised arm. This is my race and this is my life. Since I was a kid I’ve always loved sports. I needed an outlet for my boundless energy, and sports provided my parents with an excuse to get rid of me for a few hours. Growing up I dreamed of being a professional soccer player. Even a few face shots with the soccer ball, blood spurting from my nose didn’t dampen my enthusiasm for the sport. The cheering of the crowd after a resoundingly swift kick of the ball into the net with only 2 minutes left in the game made my heart pound.

During my freshman year I tried out for outdoor track after failing to make the lacrosse team. I thought it would keep me busy and felt it was a good way to get some exercise. I soon realized how much I enjoyed being part of the Spalding track team. I found my home among the painted lines on the rubberized track and looked forward to team workouts each year. Running grounded me. When I run it’s exhilarating. I’m in tune with my body. Everything is working together getting me to the finish line as quickly as I can push myself to get there. This mind/body connection with myself allows me to be more in tune to the world around me. When in a race, I hear nothing. I’m in my own little world just concentrating on running as fast as I can. I’m always a little surprised when I reach the finish line as if I can’t believe the race is already over.

But that’s what life is about. Life is all about trial and error. If I were to have been consumed by my own doubts and fears about joining track I never would have discovered my confidence or my talent in sprinting. I believe that life starts through acting out on your own accord and trying new things. Track has only served to connect me with more friends, a healthier lifestyle, and conscious awareness of how far I can push myself. All will fall into place through hard work and the infallible belief to go for your dreams no matter how tall that mountain of challenges may be.