Samantha - Belleville, New Jersey
Themes: carpe diem

Life can be taken away from you in a blink of an eye. The day was October 3, 2006. As soon as I woke up, the day turned out to be one of the worst days of my life. I believe in living each day to the fullest because who knows when it will be the last day of being alive.

That Tuesday, I woke up to my mom screaming downstairs at 5:00 in the morning. I knew it could have not been a good sign. My mom normally wakes up at six, so something was definitely wrong. I walked to the top of the stairs and asked my mom, “What is going on?”

My mom replied, “Aunt Andrea was rushed to the hospital, and they can’t revive her. They don’t think she is going to live.”

I was so upset. I ran to my bedroom, and sat on my bed crying and praying for the next fifteen minutes. About fifteen minutes after that, the phone rang. I heard my mom downstairs screaming, yelling, and crying, “How could this happen? She was only thirty-eight. This doesn’t make any sense.” I ran downstairs because I knew what was wrong, and cried with my mom and dad.

On October 3, 2006, my Aunt Andrea, my mom’s brother’s wife, was dead. A thirty-eight year old woman dead from a microscopic problem behind her heart. She left behind a husband and three daughters. Her three daughters were Ashley, eighteen, Tyler, thirteen, and Jaden, five. To this day, I still think all of this is surreal. I wonder every day when I wake up, “Why her?” She had her whole life to live.

One’s answer might be it was her time to go. I might agree, but why so soon? I believe we all have a time to go, and we all have a purpose in life. I believe she had a purpose in life and she fulfilled it, but again I ask, “Why now?” Wonderful people die young, but there is still no answer on why so soon.

One should live in the present, because I believe living in the past is bad. It is gone and cannot be changed. Love every person because it might be your last time together. Laugh every minute and every second of each day.

My aunt was a thirty-eight year old woman with the rest of her life ahead of her. Each day I think of when my last day will come, but I simply leave that in the hands of God because I am not in control of that. Now my cousins have no mother, and my uncle has no wife. “How can you go on living?” I know the answer. Live every day as if it is your last. Treat each day as a precious event because it could always be your last day even if you do not know it. Believing is the key, and the key is believing in the future.