Jeff - Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Themes: work

Ding! Ah, the beginning of the last period of school until I can go home. I can’t wait to go home because today, on this wonderful, beautiful Friday, my dad is going to take me and my little brother to the arcade. I like playing the games, but I love the look of my brother when he wins. His face brightens, his eyes twinkle, and his laugh, oh, his laugh is the cutest little laugh you’ll ever hear. No, nothing will ruin this marvelous Friday.

“Oh, and remember class, your National History Day reports are due when you come back to school on Monday,” Mr. Rames, my Language Arts teacher informed us. Oh no! Not a single word has been written! There goes my plans for this once marvelous Friday.

I started to walk to my locker when one of my friends, said, “See ya’ Monday!” My only reply was, “Hm. Yah.” I got my binder, put it in my back pack, slung it over my shoulder, and headed out of the school and onto the bus. Ten minutes later, I flew off the bus, ran into my house, and searched frantically for the notes I took.

I’m happy now, though, that in the five months I had to work, I at least took a fourth of the required notes. My topic is the Boston Tea Party because it fits the topic of triumph and tragedy and I have plenty of prior knowledge on the event.

On Saturday, I started to look through my notes and eventually got an outline in my head. I started to put my thoughts, facts, and ideas onto paper and soon had just about the required number of words. After dinner, I was going to turn on my computer and start to type, but I looked at the clock and saw it was half past ten o’clock. I put my mostly finished paper by the computer, said goodnight to my dad and brother, and headed off to bed.

The next morning, I went to the kitchen and had a bowl of cheerios while my dad drank a cup of coffee. Afterwards, I walked over to my computer and started to type like crazy. Sometime close to 1:30, it was all finished.

I presented it a few days later and a few weeks later I got my grade for the assignment. It was a high B, about 89 percent. Although I was relieved and my dad was proud of me, all that was on my mind was how close of a call that was. Had Mr. Rames not said anything to remind the class, I probably wouldn’t have done anything.

I believe that if I really want to do things I want to do, I can’t procrastinate that badly anymore. Who knows? Maybe if I don’t procrastinate next time, I might get an A.