Christopher - Ogden, Utah

I believe in eating fish eyeballs. Someone brave enough to say yes to opportunities, like that of consuming the unusual, will allow themselves the pleasure of the fun and memorable experiences of life. The ability to be optimistic in difficult decisions is one of the greatest skills a person can develop.

My dad’s favorite saying is, “try it, it will make you live longer,” this is where I’ve developed my philosophy. I consider my dad the smartest man I know and it would just be stupid not to listen to him. Every time he said that the experience didn’t make me live longer, but it was the desire to live that made me try it. The more experiences in a life create a more extensive life and a fuller life as well as a life with times to remember. The fish eyeballs come into play with a story where my dad and my family tricked me and a little girl into eating something that will definitely make me live longer.

I was about 9 or 10 and my family went to our family in Chinatown, New York. We were out at a seafood restaurant and had ordered flounder. The fish came out face up and the kids at the table were poking the eyes of the fish. The adults eventually noticed and my dad told of how he ate the eyeballs when he was a kid. Seeing a challenge, I dared the six year old daughter of one of my aunt’s friends to eat the eyeball that the rest of the children, my sister and I, had been poking and mixing around. The girl was peppy and took the small little white sphere from the plate and popped it into her mouth. Then it was my turn.

I took the second eyeball from the fish and held it in my chopsticks inches from my lips. I took the slimy sphere and popped it into my mouth. The taste was ‘unique’. First my mouth was filled with goo and then came the explosion of the chalky filling. I gagged it up and spat it right back on my plate. My family ate up my pain and immediately started laughing.

I absolutely hated the experience at the time because my super competitive family was laughing at me and a little six year old had beaten me, but now that I look back on that dinner I realize it really was a funny experience. Also I realize that it really was a worth while bet and now I can say that I’ve eaten fish eyeballs.